What is a RemoteSpark session, how to resume past sessions, create custom sessions, and more
What are RemoteSpark sessions?
If you’ve performed a video call between a remote user and an Expert, all 3D assets that were shared in the video call are stored together on the RemoteSpark Server in a session file that can be accessed at any time by both users.
Example of a session file:
These session files are time-stamped and allow users to resume their previous call with the same assets, to allow remote users to view them without connecting to the same expert and can be saved and archived by the users.
Custom sessions can also be created without making a video call and can be viewed by a remote user.
How to find your past video-call sessions
- Click on a contact who you've made RemoteSpark video calls with.
- Click on any of the time-stamped session files
- Note: all sessions are saved in UTC time.
- You can now see all assets that were shared in the video call.
Note: if no 3D assets (photos, documents, 3D models) were shared in the video call, or they are all deleted before the call has ended – no session file is created.
How to save assets from a session to your desktop
If you wish to save the assets (3D models, photos, documents) from a session for archiving or other purposes:
- Click on the session file.
- Select Save All.
- Select the folder where you want to save the assets on your device.
Renaming a session
- Select the settings icon on a session file.
- Click Rename.
- Enter a title for the session and click Ok.
Resuming a session
Resumed sessions allow you to begin a video call with the same assets as a previous call between the same two users.
Note: as with standard video calls, resumed sessions must begin from the remote user (cannot begin from the Expert).
- Select the contact (must be online) with whom you shared the session.
- Select the session you wish to resume.
- Select Resume.
- Select your call settings.
- Have your contact answer the call.
- The call will then begin by loading the 3D assets on the remote user’s device as the call is connecting.
Adding a past video call to Starred Sessions
You can tag past video call sessions to your account’s Starred Sessions, for easier access and viewing by the remote user.
- Select the contact with whom you shared the video call session you wish to add.
- Select the settings icon on the session file.
- Select Add.
- You can then access the file from the Starred Sessions page from the main menu.
Creating a custom session
Starting with version 1.9.9, RemoteSpark users can create a session without doing a RemoteSpark video call. Users can create a session on their account on a PC and view the session from their HoloLens on the same account.
This allows field workers or technicians going to a site with no internet access to pre-load any content (documents, holograms) for viewing with RemoteSpark on HoloLens after they’ve created, then cached the session on the device.
- Launch RemoteSpark on a PC.
- Go online.
- Click Sessions.
- Click New.
- Add a name for the session and click Ok.
- Upload any documents or 3D models you wish to use in the session.
- Click Back.
- You can now login with the same account on HoloLens, you can view the session either online or offline (if cached to the device).
Caching a session
For offline viewing on your HoloLens, or for faster loading in a resumed call or viewed session, you can cache a session to your HoloLens.
- Select the session file you wish to cache.
- Either by clicking the contact with whom you shared the video call and selecting the session.
- Or by selecting a custom session from your Starred Sessions menu.
- Select Cache.
Cached sessions will show as green on your device.
- If you’ve cached the session and added to your Starred Sessions, you can view this when no internet is present (offline mode) from your HoloLens.
Viewing a session on the HoloLens
RemoteSpark on the HoloLens allows a user to view all objects from a custom session or a previous RemoteSpark video call, without resuming the call and connecting with the contact involved in the original video call.
Note: you still need to have internet connection to view the session unless it has been cached.
- Add the past RemoteSpark video call session to Starred Sessions.
- Or create a custom session with RemoteSpark on your PC, and log in with the same account on your HoloLens.
- Click Sessions from the home screen.Select the session.
- Select View.
- The HoloLens will then enter Immersive View and the 3D assets (3D models, photos, documents) will begin to download.
- You can then interact with all the 3D assets as you would in a RemoteSpark video call.